Monday, October 17, 2011

I rode 100 miles....on my Bike!

The past few months I have taken up road biking, thanks to the generosity of my Dad letting me borrow his 10 year old Raleigh bike.  I knew I needed to lose some weight and get in shape, and since most of my family rides and loves it, I thought I would give it a try.  Early mornings, riding to and from work, these past few months I have put a lot of miles in.  I felt fairly prepared but knew that I would never be really ready to ride 100 miles, the longest ride up to that point was 30!

So Nick chose for us to end the bike season with the The Tour De St. George.  Of course he didn't choose the easiest course, there was a fair bit of climbing (5000 feet worth) so it was a challenge.  Nick, Ben, my Dad and Me did the 100 mile course, while my Mom, Aunt Norma, and Mariah did the 75 mile course.  The first 12 miles were all up hill and I struggled most of the way up, I felt like I was going to throw up quite a few times, and that was mainly because I ate breakfast too late.  After those 12 miles I enjoyed the rest of the time and had fun riding with the family.  

At mile 85 I was fairly beat and two of the biggest hills of the day were still ahead of me, but I pushed on and despite falling fairly far behind everyone waited for me so that we could ride back into town together.  I really didn't know what to expect but I did really enjoy the day.  The weather was perfect and we spend six hours and forty minutes on the bike, with the stops we finished in seven hours and forty minutes.  Will I do it again?  Most definitely.






Nick's hair after wearing a helmet for 7 hours!


Grandma finishing



No comments: