Thursday, June 2, 2011

Happy Birthday Brooks!


One year old today,  I can't believe how fast it has gone.  Before you were born I had resigned myself to thinking that all our family would ever have were girls.  I was ok with it, because it meant less work for me.  If we didn't have any boys, than my realm of responsibility decreases.  I could send the girls shopping and since I don't have anyone to watch, I could go golf.

I would still teach the girls sports, show them how to do yard work, how to be respectful to other people, and how to work hard; but all the other things like scouts I didn't have to worry about.  My life of ease, or what I thought would be a life of ease, came to an abrupt halt when we found out you were a boy.  Everything changed......everything.

We were having a boy, how cool is that?  Someone to carry on the Barker name and a bring a little more manhood into this family.  When you were born, the family changed.  I quickly realized one of the reasons you were sent to this earth was to prepare your Sisters for motherhood.  I can't tell you in words how much you mean to them, but they absolutely adore you.  They want to be there when you first wake up and the last thing you see before you go to bed.  They are very protective of you, so just be prepared that its going to be that way the rest of your life!

You have grown a lot this past year and lately your personality has started to really develop.  Unlike your Sisters were at your age you are into everything and want to be a part of everything.  We can't leave you alone or you will find some way to get into trouble, whether it is trying to get into the bathtub or find a way to get down the stairs.  We constantly have to vacuum so that you don't pick up something and put it into your mouth.  But the best part about you is your laugh, every part of your body is ticklish, and if you would let us we would tickle you all day long.

I am excited for the years to come.  Now when the girls go shopping, I will have someone to do something with.  I now get to teach you the things that my Dad taught me, and hopefully help you to become a respectable man.  It's a lot of responsibility but I am grateful for the challenge.

So Happy Birthday, one year over and many more to come.  

Love,

Dad

1 comment:

The Barker Family said...

dad would you really send me and gracie shopping and you would just sit around all day with your IPAD


love ,
isabelle